Tigers beat Randall seventh consecutive time

Frenship junior Bryan Seicks is tackled by Randall’s Nick Gibson in Frenship’s win over Canyon Randall Friday night. (Photo by Luke Backus)

Down 14-6 at halftime, Frenship coach Brad Davis told his team they needed to be a different team in the second half.

“I think we got outplayed in the first half,” Davis said. “We weren’t executing offensively or defensively and I told our guys if they came out and made the corrections, played harder and were more intense, that team had a chance to make it happen in the second half.”

That other team showed up and scored 25 unanswered points for a 31-14 win over Randall on Friday night at Tiger Stadium.

Frenship (4-0) was not putting up the gaudy rushing yards it averages each game (242), but instead found ways to get past Randall’s defense in the air.

Tiger quarterback Tyler Lloyd and Davis saw some things in the Raiders’ secondary that allowed Frenship to put the exclamation point on a 17-14 game with more than five minutes to play.

“We saw that the way their safeties were playing we could take a shot over the middle,” Tiger wideout and defensive back Alec Birchfield said. “So we went for it.”

Lloyd hit Birchfield on a 7-yard slant route behind Randall’s linebackers and Birchfield did the rest — splitting the two safeties on his way to a 57-yard touchdown to put Frenship ahead 23-14.

“I’m just thankful I outran (Warren Maxwell),” Birchfield said with a sigh of relief. “I had heard he was pretty fast.”

Lloyd completed 7 of 10 passes for 144 yards and the score to Birchfield, who led all Tiger receivers with 70 yards receiving.

The speed of the game was something the Tigers had to take control of in the second half after the Raiders had the advantage of time of possession.

Randall (2-2) used two long, sustained drives in the first half on its first two possessions to get the initial 14-3 lead. The Raiders ran 28 plays while gaining 143 yards to eat more than 12 1/2 minutes off the clock.

Quarterback Mark Glawe connected with receiver Casey Fulton on a fade route for the first touchdown, and running back Nick Gibson leaped over the Tigers’ goal-line defense on fourth-and-goal for the second score. Gibson finished with 93 rushing yards.

“We had to pick up on some assignments we missed in the first half,” lineman Mason Walters said. “They showed some things we hadn’t practiced before and it was about the coaches doing a good job of making sure we were going to make those adjustments over the next two quarters. And we were ready to adjust.”

The Tigers forced Randall to go three-and-out on its first drive of the second half, and Frenship running back Bryan Seicks scored on his fifth carry of the following drive from 2-yards. Lloyd then hit Lance Ratliff for the two-point conversion to even the score at 14.

Seicks finished with 80 yards rushing.

The Tigers held Randall to just 86 yards of offense in the second half and did not suffer a turnover or penalty throughout the game until an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty came with 10 seconds to play.

Frenship stalled on its initial drive after a turnover on downs at the Randall 34. The Tigers got two field goals from Ratliff to stay within one possession of the Raiders. Gibson fumbled at Randall’s 32-yard line with one second remaining before the half for Ratliff to hit a 49-yard kick as time expired.

Last Friday’s Heroes

Tyler Lloyd: Lloyd had one of his best games of the season going 7-for-10 with 144 passing yards. His 57-yard pass to Alec Birchfield in the fourth quarter made it a two-possession game. He also ran for 16 yards on five carries.

James Richardson: Recovered a fumble with one second left in the first half. The recovery set up a 49-yard field goal from Lance Ratliff. The field goal brought the Tigers within eight points of the Raiders.

You must be logged in to post a comment.