Keep your pets safe from holiday hazards with tips from Animal Medical of Wolfforth

Pets can enjoy the holiday season, too – just keep these safety tips in mind and call Animal Medical of Wolfforth in an emergency, (806) 833-4422.

Holiday decorations help make the season special and bright! But did you know that some of these items that you bring into your home can present serious dangers to your pets?

Animal Medical of Wolfforth has come up with a list of useful tips for making sure your furry family members are kept healthy and happy during the holiday season this year. Here’s a list of holiday items that are potentially dangerous for your pets:

DANGEROUS DECORATIONS:

• Candles are popular, but it’s important to keep them out of reach of curious cats (and dogs) that might swat at flames, burn themselves or even knock candles over.

• It’s also important to keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock, and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.

• Shards of breakable ornaments are very sharp and could also be dangerous.

• Tinsel is extra appealing to cats who love sparkly, light-catching “toys” that are easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible emergency surgery.

TOXIC TABLE FOOD:

• Feeding your pet a bit of turkey is okay, so long as it has been fully cooked and is bone-free. Undercooked turkey may contain salmonella bacteria and bones could splinter and get lodged in your pet’s digestive tract.

• A big no-no? Alcohol. Pets that ingest alcohol can become very sick and may fall into a coma, leading to an untimely death.

• Chocolate can cause a variety of symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rate and occasionally seizures. Grapes and raisins are also toxic to pets.

PESKY PLANTS:

• Lilies can cause kidney failure in cats.

• Holly and mistletoe also can be dangerous and cause gastrointestinal upset or, in rare cases with mistletoe, cardiovascular problems.

• Poinsettias are actually not as toxic as believed, but can cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation.

• Christmas trees are not particularly toxic, but precautions should be taken to ensure the tree is securely anchored so it doesn’t tip or fall. Tree water-which may contain fertilizers, and bacteria that can cause stomach upset, nausea or diarrhea if ingested. Keep it covered to protect pets from drinking it. Helpful tip: Instead try decorating with non-toxic decorations like wood, fabric or pine cones.

If any of your pets accidentally ingest a potentially toxic substance this holiday season, please immediately give Animal Medical of Wolfforth a call at (806) 833-4422 and inform Dr. Christina Fletcher of the emergency. Animal Medical of Wolfforth offers affordable emergency services to Lubbock and surrounding areas.

Comments are closed.